This course will run from Monday 1st July to Friday 5th July 2024 and will follow the same format as the course that we ran this year. Every student who attended said that they would highly recommend the course. Each individual began feeling nervous and finished feeling confident drawing and painting outdoors and left with skills and techniques in keeping a sketchbook.
Each day will begin in our beautiful Little Art School Studio, just a minute walk from the beach, then we will head out to paint on location each of the five days. Joanne will be teaching the course and be with you every step of the way, guiding you to develop skills and techniques for improving sketching and painting outdoors.
Transport to each location will be provided by us and we will provide snacks and a picnic lunch every day. Our aim for this holiday is for it to be full of art and joy. It is all about building confidence, so if the idea of sitting in a public place painting absolutely terrifies you, then this will be perfect for you as we will all be learning together, encouraging each other, the Little Art School way. This element was a huge part of the success of this year’s course. It was very much about building confidence; there are no public displays of work, no ‘crits’, just privately developing your sketchbook skills in a way guaranteed to bring you joy!
- Monday 1st July: Starting to build confidence and discover the fun of painting outdoors, visit to the beach to experiment with outdoor sketching
- Tuesday 2nd July: In the footsteps of Robert Burns, painting Burns Cottage and the Brigadoon
- Wednesday 3rd July: Sketching in Museums, visiting one of Glasgow’s top museums and building confidence sketching in a gallery setting
- Thursday 4th July: Painting the Garden, Joanne will guide the class to develop skills painting in her garden, from small flower studies to painting a flower bed, trees and buildings, from detail to impressionism. Thursday’s painting will finish with a celebratory BBQ in Joanne’s garden
- Friday 5th July: Bringing it all together; a studio day
We have wet weather planning in place as the west coast of Scotland can sometimes have the odd shower in summer, our artists coped with this admirably this year!